Thursday 12 December 2013

Practical Investigation of Production Company

 
In the opening for Blackout (2008), a woman has cut her wrist which we see through a close up. Then a straight cut is used to show us another close up, but of the blood dripping down the side of the white bath. A white bath is effective because the blood is made more prominent, however this would be more effective and gruesome if the audience were to see the blood dripping down the side of the bath.

This inspired us to create a production company animation where the person cuts their wrist and the blood drips down to form 'Kills Productions'. First, I applied liquid latex over my wrist so I can simply peel it off and all the make-up applied on top will come off.
Next, I applied scar wax and rolled it into long strips so when make-up and fake blood is put on it, the cut looks very deep. Then, I rubbed the outside edges to blend it in with my skin.
Then, I put black make-up in the 'cut' and in the corners where my skin met the scar wax so to create a shadow to make the cut look deeper. I applied a dark red colour on top of the black and on the scar wax around the cut to make it look bloody and wounded.

Next, I applied fake blood all over my wrist and in the cuts and let some drip down to make it look more gory and realistic. Then, I got some more fake blood and poured it down the side of a white sink, as seen in Blackout, and filmed it using a close up of my wrist then moved the camera downwards to show the blood drizzling down. This short clip will be added and edited to Annie's practical to make it look like this blood forms the words 'Kills Productions'.





Overall, I like our production company animation because it hints our slasher genre to the audience, unlike some slasher films that have production companies with misleading animations as investigated in my deconstruction post. As our opening will only be 2 minutes long, we want our audience to know they are watching a slasher film so this animation will establish that.

I began editing the clip and added sound. I chose a heavenly sound because it is parallel to this person who has bled to death. The sound is very ambiguous and denotes heaven, death, life, purity and is quite mysterious. I chose to include the sound from about 4 minutes in.


Here is the edited version with sound:


No comments:

Post a Comment