Monday 10 March 2014

Editing the Chase Scene:

As I had directed and filmed the majority of the chase scene, I knew what editing techniques I had in mind and so I was left in charge of editing it.

We were happy with the majority of the videos taken although there are a few which are slightly dodgy where the lighting isn't bright enough for example.

First I imported all the videos into Final Cut Pro. In total, they came to nearly 3 minutes and as we want our chase scene to be really quick, it's my job to cut it down to around 20-30 seconds.

After trimming down most of the clips and removing the audio from them, the time was reduced to just over a minute, not taking into consideration that some clips are going to be alternated and others sped up.




I retimed most of the clips so they were slightly faster than normal, therefore reducing the overall time of all of the clips. The majority were around 130% faster and when they were all retimed, the time came down to around 35 seconds.

When thinking of what music/sound to put over the chase scene, I liked the idea of having sad, emotional music rather than intense loud upbeat music as in my opinion, I want the audience to feel sorry for our victim while at the same time, not using diegetic sounds gives the impression that he does this a lot and she is just another girl like numerous others that he's taken and killed.

This could then be contrasted against the sounds/music for the death scene and flashbacks which I imagined to be more urgent and upbeat, showing how happy and comfortable he is in the situation and to emphasis how disgusting what he is doing is.

I liked the music from the video below, but mainly the section from about 45 seconds onwards where the violins build up and it makes it more intense yet still creepy and sad. The only problem is that it's described as "Epic and Dramatic Trailer Music" which is kind of what we want but it might give connotations of trailer music whereas we would want music more associated with film openings.



Even though the majority would be non-diegeti music, I did like the idea of including some diegetic noises, especially the heartbeat sound effect below. I timed it so it began just as the villain grabs the victim and she turns around and begins to struggle.






For a first draft, I felt that it wasn't too bad and it was kind of what I had imagined in terms of editing, pace, music and atmosphere. After consulting with my group, we realised that the music at the beginning should be more intense, similar to the opening credits of Se7en, so my next task will be to possible find that type of music that we could use or to possibly play around and create my own using music software.

No comments:

Post a Comment