Monday 31 March 2014

More Editing of the Death Scene Footage

As my targeted scene to edit is the death scene, I carried on with my editing of the footage in this scene, as shown in the evidence below:

In this session, my tasks were to cut down the extract so that it fit our two minuet time allowance. I also needed to perfect the editing to make it effective.


First ,  I started re-timing the shots where killer turns around, making them slower to add to the sudden contrast in the change of quick paced editing to the slow pace of this shot. This, although adding to the overall time, would add to the effectiveness of the footage.


I also added a black screen for the ending image, rather than just ending the opening scene on the killers forehead- making it look more professional.


Next, I went though the footage, speeding up and cutting shots, so that I could get the video to two minuets long, rather than the two minuets fifty seconds that it currently was. 


As I kept watching the last collection of shots, I decided that they needed flash backs between cuts of the killer turning around as the impact of the slow-motion got lost through the length of time it took the killer turning around. Adding quick flash backs in between cuts of this shot would not only build tension but also add to the dark and twisted feeling the footage gives off.


As a result of added the flash backs, I needed to go through the footage again, cutting off any un-necessary seconds.

Talking as a group, we felt that a problem that would be found within the comments of our first draft saying that the death scene is confusing because of all of the flash backs. Taking initiative to try and fix this possible problem, I decided to experiment with the effects that I could add to the flash backs to make it more obvious that they are, in fact, flash backs. Below shows my investigation:


Here, I have added the effect "Radial" as a transition into the flash back- the blur effect used to signify that its part of the killers memory. My idea with this is that as the extract is played, the flash backs would start off really blurry and get clearer and clearer- symbolising the fact that the killer is re-living the murder, it becoming more present than a memory.

I tried this idea out on a few of the flash backs with a few different types of "blur" effects that were available to me, but because of the length of them, it really didn't work (shown above). It  gave the viewer too much to look at and comprehend with such a small amount of time, and it also reduced the "shock" of the initial gore within the death scene.

I decided to leave the flash backs the way that they were, acting on changing them if necessary when we get feedback on our up-coming initial draft of our film opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment