Tuesday 11 March 2014

Practical Investigation: Non-Diegetic Sounds

For my practical investigation, I decided to look into using a music software called 'Logic Pro' to create some examples of non-diegetic music, with help from my friend who took GCSE Music.


For our current idea of our opening, I was thinking of where we could include non-diegetic music and if it would be effective or not. The beginning chase scene would be the most likely place for us to have diegetic music but it could work just as well if we had it quieter with diegetic sounds like heavy breathing and footsteps.

If we are going to have a lot of opening titles then sometimes it can be quite effective to have non diegetic music playing over the top as generally nothing that important happens during the opening titles. Contrary to this, in our opening we are planning to have our villain murder a pregnant girl (although not that much gore will be shown) but I like the idea of blending in the opening titles would make it more like a film opening and also less shocking, almost as if he does it everyday and it's the normal routine.

First of all, to get used to using Logic Pro, I decided to try and edit a well known tune to sound more creepy, I chose 'Frere Jacques' and played it slower than usual on the simple Grand Piano option.
I then played around with the different instruments and sound effects to create the ominous rumbling sound below and then after that merged them together, editing the timing so it sounded more sinister and creepy, I especially like the ending part as the rest of the song is building up to that moment.




My friend also played a quicker yet still kind of creepy version of Frere Jacques


The only problem is that it would be quite difficult to explain why Frere Jacques would be relevant to our film opening as it doesn't really have any links to what happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment